South Western Air Command SWAC is the second largest Air Command of the Indian Air force covering almost from Rajasthan to Pune, Maharashtra. The Command looks after the Air defence of South Western Region and posses a strike role in Wartime. The Airbases of South Western Air Command are Modernly Equipped to carry Defensive/Offensive roles in the Western Region and the Arabian Sea.
The SWAC was initially known as the No. 1 Operations Group of Western Air Command. Later in the year 1980, the No. 1 Operations Group was converted into the South Western Air Command and was headquartered at Jodhpur, Rajasthan. In the year 1988, the SWAC Headquarters was moved to its current location Gandhinagar.
The South Western Air Command operates nearly 12 Airbases
1. Naliya Air Force Station, Gujarat
2. Bhuj Air Force Station, Gujarat
3. Jamnagar Air Force Station, Gujrat
4. Ahmedabad Forward Base Support Unit (FBSU), Gujarat
5. Vadodara Forward Base Support Unit (FBSU), Gujarat
6. Jaisalmer Air Force Station, Rajasthan
7. Jodhpur Air Force Station, Rajasthan
8. Uttarlai Air Force Station, Rajasthan
9. Nal Air Force Station, Bikaner, Rajasthan
10. Phalodi Air Force Station, Rajasthan
11. Lohegoan Air Force Station, Pune, Maharashtra
12. Nagpur Air Base, Maharashtra
Squadrons and Support Units of South Western Air Command SWAC
1. No. 20 Squadron “Lightenings” and No. 30 Squadron “Rhinos” operating SU 30 MKI from Lohegoan Air Force Station, Pune.
2. No. 31 Squadron “Lions” operating SU 30 MKI, No. 107 Helicopter Unit operating Mi-8, and No. 32 Squadron “Thunderbirds” operating MiG 21 Bison stationed at Jodhpur Air Force Station, Rajasthan.
3. No. 6 Squadron “Dragons” operating Jaguar Fighters, No. 28 Squadron “The First Supersonics” operating MiG 29 UPG, and No. 141 Helicopter Unit operating HAL Chetak stationed at Jamnagar Air Force Station.
4. No. 44 Squadron “Mighty Jets” operating IL-76 Military Aircraft stationed at Nagpur Air Force Station.
5. No. 11 Squadron “Charging Rhinos” operating HS-AVRO stationed at Vadodara Air Force Station.
6. No. 4 Squadron “Oorials” operating MiG 21 Bison Fighter Stationed at Uttarlai Air Force Station, Rajasthan.
SWAC has participated in the 1965 and 1971 Indo Pak Wars. The newly indigenously developed LCA Tejas will be stationed at Frontline Airbases of SWAC.
Also Read: Western Air Command IAF – All You Need To Know
BOOKS BY DDE FOR DEFENCE ASPIRANTS
HIGH SUCCESS RATE
Start your SSB preparations with these specially curated ebooks.
Stage 1 SSB – SSB Oir ebook
SSB Psychology Test – Click Here
SSB Group Tasks – Click Here
Thematic Apperception Test – Click Here
Situation Reaction Test – Click Here