Types Of Missile Systems – Part 3
Well. In the first part we covered conventional guided missiles.
Second part was about cruise missile, their working and difference between ballistic and cruise missiles. It also explained about Brahmos (Supersonic cruise missile).
In case you missed it, you can read them from the link below.
A ballistic missile is a type of missile which uses rocket propulsion for its travel and it travels along a parabolic trajectory .
A cruise missile on the other hand is a scaled down aircraft. It has its own small wings and air breathing engines which propel it through the air.
Comparison of path shown by a diagram.
Ballistic missiles are launched directly into the top-most layers of the earth's atmosphere. They travels well outside the atmosphere and then the warhead detaches and falls back to earth. It follows the path of any object thrown upwards in parabolic path which falls down. Since it depends on gravity to reach its target, it's called a ballistic missile.
It is classified by its coverage.
SRBM (Small Range Ballistic Missile)
MRBM (Medium Range Ballistic Missile)
IRBM (Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile)
ICBM (Inter Continental Ballistic Missile)
- Agni-V is an intercontinental ballistic missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India.Agni V is part of the Agni series of missiles, one of the missile systems under the original Integrated Guided Missile Development Program.
- It has a range of 5,500–5,800 km.
- The name Agni is kept after “God of Fire”.
- There is a technical possibility of ASAT version of AGNI which is being worked upon.
Some amazing facts about AGNI V.
- Its speed in terminal phases reached upto 24 MACH.
- Per unit cost of AGNI V is about 50 crores.
- It has an accuracy of 10-80 m.
- Agni-VI is an intercontinental ballistic missile being developed by the DRDO for the use of the Indian Armed Forces Strategic Forces Command
That’s it for ballistic missile guys.
Let me know how you found it in the comments below.
Stay tuned to DDE for more content.
If you have learnt anything from above share it with your friends.
If you have any question or suggestions you can let me know in the comments.
Part 4 will be out soon.
It will have information about all the top missile systems in the world.