Mirage 2000 vs F-16 Falcon
Indian air force used mirage 2000 for bombarding the terrorist location in POK and Pakistan air force retaliated by sending their deadliest arrow in its quiver – the F-16 Fighting Falcons. In this post, we will compare both the jets in detail and have a closure look as to which one will prevail in war.
- The Mirage 2000, a single-engine fourth generation aircraft manufactured by Dassault Aviation.
- The F-16 Falcon, a single-engine supersonic fighter manufactured by General Dynamics – now Lockheed Martin – for the US Air Force (USAF).
Comparison by SPEED
- The Mirage 2000, a single-engine fourth generation aircraft can reach top speeds of up to Mach 2.2.
- The F-16 Falcon, a single-engine supersonic fighter is comparatively slower. It can reach a maximum speed of over Mach 2.
- The Mirage weighs 7500 kg and has a total takeoff weight of 17,000 kilograms and has a maximum climbing speed of 60,000 feet per minute and can touch a maximum height of 59,000 feet.
- Falcon weighs 8,570 kg with a maximum takeoff weight of 19,200 kilograms and the F-16's maximum attainable height is of 50,000 feet.
Weapons carrying capabilities
- The Mirage 2000 boasts nine hardpoints for weapons carriage and a combat range of 1,850 km.
- It is capable of a nuclear weapon delivery role. Apart from two 30 mm DEFA 554 revolver cannons, which can be used for air-to-air combat, it is also capable of launching unguided Matra 68 mm rocket and has a capacity of 18 missiles per pod.
- it is capable of launching Air-to-Air and Air-to-Surface missiles.
- The Mirage can go 1,475 km with four 250-kg bombs.
- F-16 also reportedly has a total of nine hardpoints, it boasts of more weapon storage capacity than the Mirage.
- It is armed with a better M61 Vulcan cannon in the left wing root, and the internal Vulcan cannon has an extremely high rate of firing (6,000 rounds per minute).
- it can carry a wide variety of air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, rockets or bombs and electronic jammers.
- F-16C has a combat radius going up to 1,370 km with two bombs weighing around 907 kg.
Capabilities of both jets
- The Mirage 2000 is mainly known for its ability to carry out bombing operations.
- A single aircraft can hold at least two laser-guided bombs, capable of taking out primary ground targets.
- However, since a large number of weapons can be stored on this aircraft, it can be used efficiently in both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat.
- The F-16, however, is better suited for air-to-air combat due to its high manoeuvring capability. It can pull 9-g manoeuvres.
- Moreover, its cockpit is still praised for the apparent field of view it offers – pilots can get a 360-degree view during combat, thus significantly improving accuracy.
However, the abilities are best suited with the Pilot who is flying the jet, and our IAF warriors are well trained and determined to take down any enemy with precise accuracy and courage.
Stay connected to DDE for more.