What is the ongoing row on the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation(OIC)?
This post is about the OIC and why is this topic a hotspot in the news and must be understood by all of you. After reading this article, you will get some useful knowledge about the ongoing tussle.
So, let’s begin
What is OIC?
- It is an international organisation founded in 1969, consisting of 57 member states, with 40 countries being Muslim Majority countries.
- The organisation works to safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony.
What are the goals of OIC?
- The OIC aims to preserve Islamic social and economic values; promote solidarity amongst member states.
- Increasing cooperation in social, economic, cultural, scientific, and political areas.
- The goal also includes upholding international peace and security and advance education, particularly in the fields of science and technology.
Why is Pakistan expressing reservation about OIC’s invitation to India?
- India is not the active member of OIC, but this is the first time India has been invited as the guest of honour at an OIC meeting.
- The invitation for the event was extended by HH Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Foreign Minister of the UAE, and accepted by Sushma Swaraj, our foreign minister.
- Sushma Swaraj is expected to address the inaugural plenary in Abu Dhabi.
- The Pakistan foreign minister is irked by this idea as India bombarded the terrorist camp.
- pak minister termed this act as aggressive and have threatened the OIC that he will not attend the meeting if the Indian minister is invited.
- Pakistan foreign minister quoted”Under the current circumstances, it will not be possible for me to attend OIC meeting where Sushma Swaraj is present,”
- As per the latest news, our foreign minister will attend the meeting as the guest of honour in UAE on March 1-2.
Stay connected with DDE for more.
What’s your Reaction?