First Indian National Defence University – All Queries Answered
It is entirely unknown about the university for national defence is being opened in the county. Being a defence aspirant one must be aware of this institution as the question might pop up anytime in the interview about its location or the courses it caters and all the affiliations it has. If you don’t know the answer to this question, then this post is for you. We will serve every detail so that the topic becomes very clear in your mind.
So let's begin
Location of the University
- Indian National Defence University (INDU) is an under construction university of defence of the Government of India at Binola village in Gurgram district of Haryana state in India.
- The Haryana government acquired the 205 acres land for the campus and handed over to the Ministry of Defence in April 2013.
- It is located on Delhi-Jaipur NH 48, just 5 km west of Pachgaon Chowk on Western Peripheral Expressway, nearly 11 km southeast of National Security Guard base and 10 km north of Heritage Transport Museum. NHAI has established a bus bay for the university at NH48.
- It is expected to be functional this year, i.e. 2019 and is nicknamed as INDU.
What is the sole aim for setting up this university?
- The very first objective for this university will be to Promote research-oriented national defence policy.
- Secondly, INDU will boost the leadership development of officers for military duties and policy formulation responsibilities
- Develop and propagate higher education in defence studies like defence management and defence science and technology.
How did the idea arise?
- The Kargil War Review Committee recommended its establishment to then Home Minister L. K. Advani in 2001, and also by K. Subrahmanyam which was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2010.
- Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh laid the foundation stone of the Indian National Defence University (INDU) at Binola in Gurgaon on 23 May 2013.
Who will administer the university?
- This autonomous University will be instituted by the Act of the Parliament of India, and President of India will be a Visitor, and the Defence Minister will be the Chancellor.
- INDU will be governed as per its norms and will be responsible for promoting coordination and interaction between Institutions of Armed Forces or establishments of the country.
- Defence training institutions will be affiliated to award degrees.
- The institute will be headed by a President, who will be a three-star serving General or equivalent officer with C-in-C status on the appointment, and a Vice-President, who will be a civilian.
- The university formed on the lines of Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) and Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) will have the teaching faculty composed of military personnel and civilians in the ratio of 1:1.
What all department will it consist?
- The major constituent of the university are-
- Defence Institute of Distance and Open Learning (DIDOL)
- Indian Institute of Defence Technology (IIDT)
- Indian Institute of Defence Management (IIDM)
- Indian Institute of Technology
- National College of Defence Studies (NCDS)
Some of the affiliated institutes
- Affiliated institutes of Indian armed forces are-
- National Defence College (NDC) New Delhi
- College of Defence Management (CDM) Secunderabad
- Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) Wellington
- National Defence Academy (NDA) Khadakwasla
Will there be seats for civilians in the university?
- At least 66% of students will be from the Indian Armed Forces, and the remaining 33% will be from the Paramilitary forces of India, Police in India and civilians.
- The university will offer doctoral and post-doctoral research, post-graduate studies as well as higher studies through distance learning to military and civilians.
What all courses will it offer?
- War and peace courses will include
- strategic thinking
- Chinese studies, Eurasian studies, Southeast Asian studies
- international security and national security strategy
- maritime security studies
- wargaming and military simulation
- joint logistics
- counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism and material acquisition
Hope you all enjoyed reading the article and got all your doubts cleared about the topic.
Stay connected to DDE for more.
Share it to spread information.