The JAK-LI regiment of the Indian army
In this post we will know about the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry(JAK-LI) regiment, motto and its creation and war fought along with medals and decorations. This post will help you prepare for the SSB interview.
about the regiment
- The Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (JAK LI) formed in 1947 is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army.
- Its regimental insignia consists of a pair of crossed rifles. The regiment mostly consists of volunteers from the state of Jammu & Kashmir.
- 50% of the regiment's troops are Muslims while the rest represent other ethnic groups from the state.
Motto-“Balidanam Vir Lakshanam” (Sacrifice is a characteristic of the Brave)
War Cry-“Bharat Mata Ki Jai” (Victory to Mother India)
- In response to the Pakistani invasion of Kashmir in 1947, local militias were raised for specific sectors, such as Jammu, Leh, Nubra, etc.
- The militias were a paramilitary force under the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs and operated on the Line of Control.
- The militias conducted themselves with great distinction during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965 and earned 3 battle honours during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971.
- The troopers of the force felt strongly that they wanted the dignity and privileges of a regular army unit, especially keeping in mind their performance and sacrifice in the recent wars.
- in 1972, the J&K Militia was converted to a full-fledged Army regiment as the Jammu and Kashmir Militia under the Ministry of Defence.
- Brigadier Puar went on to become the first Colonel of the Regiment. In 1976, the regiment was renamed as the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry.
- During the Siachen conflict, the regiment played a vital role in operation Meghdooth. HC Bana Singh hailed from this regiment who got PVC.
- During Kargil war in 1999, The Chief of Army Staff made a special instant award of "Unit Citation" to the 12th battalion for their exceptionally gallant and sterling performance during the battles.
- JAK LI regiment is deployed in a various peacekeeping force in Sri Lanka, Somalia etc.
- The regiment has been awarded many gallantry awards as well.