How to perform well in Group Discussion of SSB
How’s the Josh Warriors?
Hello Buddies, I hope you are applying every inch of hard work and effort to earn the prestigious uniform of the Indian Armed Forces. In this appreciable blog, I am going to tell ” How to perform well in Group Discussion of SSB? ”
What is Group Discussion in Service Selection Board (SSB)?
- Group discussions at SSB is defined as an activity in which a small number of persons meet face to face and exchange and share ideas freely or attempt to reach a decision on a common issue.
- Group Discussion is the first basic test of the Group Testing. It is the stage of exploration where the discussion is free and open without any rules.
- Group discussion is a very important aspect of group communication which stimulates reflective thinking among the members.
- The purpose of Group Discussion is to assess the Effective Intelligence, Reasoning and Organizing Ability of the candidates in a group.
Conduct of the Group Discussion in Service Selection Board (SSB):
- The GTO will conduct two GD’s of 15-20 minutes one after the other to assess the Power of Expression of the candidates.
- The GTO will give two GD topics for the first Group Discussion where candidates have to decide the topic within a period of one minute and while choosing the topic, the candidates must select the stream depending upon the resourcefulness and the currency of the topic.
- The second topic is decided by the GTO himself based on the performance of the group.
- The topics are common in nature and do not require any specific knowledge, facts and figures.
Objectives of the Group Discussion in Service Selection Board (SSB):
The basic objectives of the Group Discussion is to assess the following aspects-
- Planning And Organization
- Effective Intelligence, Reasoning and
- Organizing Ability
- Power of Expression
- Social Adjustment
- Adaptation, Cooperation and Responsibility
- Social Effectiveness
- Initiative, Self Confidence and Resourcefulness.
- Courage, Stamina and Determination.
What is expected from the candidates in Group Discussion?
- The candidate should have self confidence.
- Candidates should be able to express himself fluently and rationally.
- Candidates must have sufficient knowledge of the topic being discussed.
- Candidates should not be rigid in his ideas.
- The candidates should be adaptable and should be able to react rationally under stress.
- The candidates should be logical in his approach.
- The candidates needs to be cheerful and not look stressed up
Important Topics for Group Discussion in Service Selection Board (SSB):
- The USA and North Korea problem.
- Why is crime increasing in our society?
- Armed Forces Special Forces Act (AFSPA).
- How can ragging in colleges be controlled?
- Should military training be made compulsory?
- Should there be reservation of seats in elite institutions?
- Sports in India.
- Which is the biggest problem our country is facing?
- Should HIV testing be made mandatory before marriage?
- How can Indian Railways be improved?
- What should India do to become a superpower?
- Why coaching institutes are increasing in our country?
- Should Hindi be made our national language?
- Who is responsible for crime against women?
- Should beauty pageants be encouraged in our country?
- How Swacch Bharat Abhiyan can be made more successful?
- Which is the best kind of marriage?
- Should mobile phones be allowed in schools and colleges?
- Who is responsible for eve teasing?
- How to solve Indo-Pak Issues?
Important Tips to crack Group Discussion at Service Selection Board (SSB):
- Have a good knowledge of current affairs to excel in GD.
- Be well prepared by regularly reading newspapers and magazines.
- Initiate if familiar with topic. It is not necessary to initiate, unless well versed with the topic.
- Listen to others and Intervene if the discussion is digressing.
- Speak to the point without repeating.
- Back your points with facts and figures.
- Be gentle with your presentation.
- Be natural, calm and maintain your composure.
- Be participative and reciprocate in Group Discussion.
- Say Thank You before ending your presentation.
- Think before you speak and Say what you feel without going in “Favor” or “Against It”.
- Appreciate a good point and Control your body language.
- Keep summarizing to maintain direction in GD.
- Take initiative to conclude the discussion.
- Do not be loud or aggressive.
- Do not go overboard with enthusiasm if you are familiar with the topic.
- Do not interrupt other speakers and Do not deprecate other speakers.
- Do not speak first if in case you are not familiar with the topic.
- Do not change your option and Do not ask irrelevant questions.
- Do not stop abruptly, Do not get nervous and Do not exhibit your emotions.
- Do not use your arms too much to bodily impose yourself on the other candidates.
I hope the article was helpful for all the defence aspirants.
if you have any doubt at all, Please leave a comment to help you in least possible time!!
⚔ Jai Hind ⚔