Know about Admiral Sunil Lanba, the 23rd Chief of the Naval Staff
Sunil Lanba is the current and the 23rd Chief of the Naval Staff of the Indian Navy. He assumed the office on 31 May 2016 after Admiral Robin K. Dhowan. He has also been conferred with PVSM, AVSM and ADC also.
Admiral Sunil Lanba
- Admiral Lanba got the commission to the Navy in 1978.
- He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Defense Services Staff College, Royal College of Defense Studies and also has a PG in Defense and Management studies.
- Admiral Sunil Lanba also served as Vice Chief and Southern Naval Command Chief, before assuming his current position.
- He commanded INS Kakinada (a minesweeper), INS Himgiri (a frigate), as well as INS Ranvijay and INS Mumbai, both destroyers.
- And above all, he also held other major positions in Indian Navy. The Chief of Staff of the Southern Naval Command, Flag Officer of the Sea Training, Chief of Staff of the Eastern Naval Command, and Commandant of the National Defence College also.
- Admiral Lanba got the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for his specialisation in navigation and direction course.
- Prior to taking over as the Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Lanba has been the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern and Western Naval Commands.
- He has also served as the Fleet Operations officer of the Western Fleet based in Mumbai.
- And most importantly, he held numerous training positions like training officer at the National Defence Academy; Directing Staff at the College of Defence Management and Commandant of the National Defence College.
- He is married to Mrs Reena Lanba and the couple have a son and two daughters.
- And then he took over as the Chairman of the chiefs of staff committee (CoSC) from outgoing IAF chief Marshal Arup Raha on 29 December 2016.
Stay connected to DDE for more such blogs.
What’s your Reaction?