AFINDEX-19: India-Africa military exercise held in Pune
Participating armies :
Indian Army and armies of African nations.
Aundh Military Station Pune, Maharashtra.
To train participating contingents of 16 African nations in Humanitarian Mine Assistance (HMA) and Peace Keeping Operations (PKO) under United Nations (UN) Charter.
No of participants:
Ten personnel each from participating African nations and personnel of MARATHA Light Infantry of Indian Army.
Participating african nations :
- Benin, Botswana, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Furthermore officers from Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Madagascar attend this exercise as Observers.
- It will focus on incorporating current dynamics of UN Peace Keeping Operations through practical and comprehensive discussions and tactical exercises.
- It will also focus on achieving interoperability, learning each other’s methodologies and tactics through synchronised operational level planning and tactical level training.
- & also cover tactical aspects of various tasks to be undertaken by peace keeping force enshrined under Chapter VII of UN Charter for Peace Keeping missions.
AFINDEX-19 is expected to greatly facilitate sharing of Indian Armed Forces experiences in United Nations Peace Keeping operations with countries in Africa and shall significantly enhance relations with the African continent.