Decoding Defence Budget 2019
The interim Union Budget 2019-20 presented in Parliament on February 1, 2019, and the budget is an essential topic for aspirants. Therefore, it requires understanding every aspect of the budget mainly the defence budget. In this post, we will help you know the defence budget of 2019.
What does the defence budget signify?
- Defence expenditure is not only an indicator of defence preparedness but also about increasing the area of strategic influence and strategic outreach which is imperative to national security.
- Budget plays a vital role in military weapon upgradations as well as the purchase of advanced weapons.
What's new in the budget this year?
- For the very first time, The defence budget was increased by 6.87 per cent to Rs. 3.18 lakh crore against last year's allocation of Rs. 2.98 lakh crore.
- They were still failing the expectations of a significant hike when China and Pakistan were bolstering their military capabilities.
Breakdown of budget
- Out of the total allocation, Rs. 1,08,248 crore has been set aside for capital outlay for the year 2019-2020 to purchase new weapons, aircraft, warships and other military hardware. Last year, the government allocated Rs. 93,982 crore as capital outlay.
- Under capital outlay, the Army was granted Rs. 29,447 crore, the Navy was given Rs. 23,156 crore and the Indian Air Force got an allocation of Rs. 39,302 crore.
- All the allocated amount will be used for the mordernisation of the equipments by all the three forces.
- The revenue expenditure which includes expenses on payment of salaries and maintenance of establishments has been pegged at Rs. 2,10,682 crore as against Rs. 1,88,118 crore for 2018-19.
The budget gave a large section of the GDP to defence but still the forces is in need of more as upgradation of the equipment is the need of the hour. Stay connected to DDE for more.