The Grenadiers regiment of the Indian army
In this post we will know about the Grenadiers regiment, motto and its creation and war fought along with medals and decorations. This post will help you prepare for the SSB interview.
- About the regiment
- The Grenadiers formed in 1788 is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army.
- Earlier the regiment was known as 4th Bombay Grenadiers, but after independence, the name was changed to Grenadiers.
- The regiment has won many battle honours and gallantry awards.
- It is considered to be one of India's most decorated regiments with three Param Vir Chakra awardees in three different conflicts.
- The regimental centre is in Jabalpur Madhya Pradesh.
Motto-“Sarvada Shaktishali” (Ever Powerful)
- The concept of 'Grenadiers' evolved from the practice of selecting the bravest and most influential men for the most dangerous tasks in combat.
- The Governor General of Bombay made an Order on 12 November 1779, following which regiments combined to form the very first Grenadier Regiment in the world.
- The regiment fought many wars during the colonial era like the WW-1 and WW-2.
- After independence, the name was changed to the grenadiers.
- The regiment fought many battles after independence also like the battle of Asal Uttar, guaris, tiger hill etc.
- The Grenadiers have the unique and distinct honour of having the most number of Param Vir Chakras, India's highest medal for gallantry, among all the Indian Army's Infantry Regiments.
- The regiment is also a recipient of Victoria cross and India order of merit.