SSB GTO Testing: Do’s and Don’ts
How’s the Josh Warriors?
Hello Folks, I hope you are applying every inch of hard work and effort to earn the prestigious uniform of the Indian Armed Forces. In this appreciable blog, I am going to profile the effective Do’s and Don’ts of the GTO Testing that will help you to succeed in SSB Interviews.
- The GTO Testing is based on a principle called, Gestalt Principle.
- The Group Testing Officer (GTO) assess the complete group as a form and the level of each position in the group.
- The technique is applied on a total of nine tasks, out of which six tasks would be conducted on Day-03 and three tasks would be conducted on Day-04.
- The GTO comprises of Group Discussion (GD), Group Planning Exercise (GPE), Progressive Group Task (PGT), Group Obstacle Race (GOR), Lecturette, Half Group Task, Command Task, Individual Obstacles, Final Group Task.
- Unlike the psychologist, the GTO is actually interacting with you throughout the tests. Each and every action of yours is observed.
- The GTO Testing is a test of your body and coordination between your body and mind. Your physical and mental qualities get highlighted in these tests so project your qualities to the GTO and do not remain a passenger.
- You need to remain confident and cheerful throughout the tests and learn to comprehend all instructions and ensure that no rules are violated.
- Your overall performance in all the GTO tasks brings out your personality. You need to be good in every aspect. Outstanding performance in some and poor in others is not acceptable. You need to introspect and find out shortcomings which you noticed in your performance.
- You ought to be physically fit to do well here. Focus on your shortcomings and you will surely be able to come up to the required standards.
Do’s of the GTO Testing:
- Have adequate general awareness and read current affairs.
- Perceive the problems posed correctly and assimilate all details.
- Be quick enough to think and write solutions. Avoid grammatical mistakes.
- Solutions should be logical and realistic.
- Be spontaneous and forthright in expressing. Participate actively in the group actions.
- In outdoor tasks, be energetic, participate willingly and contribute to the group activities.
- Understand the requirement of the task, plan and try to evolve/suggest workable ideas.
- Try to project/exhibit leadership qualities in implementing plans.
- Keep the group aim in mind.
- Be confident and develop perseverance in pursuing aim/goal.
- Be physically and mentally tough.
- Routine daily physical exercise must be taken well before coming for the SSB.
- Warming up before coming to GTO’s ground will certainly help.
- Be effective in communication skill. Being conversant in English is always beneficial.
- Be well dressed in white shorts, T-shirt and PT shoes.
- Dress should be loose and comfortable.
- Ensure smart turn out (proper haircut and shaved properly).
- Sleep early at night so as to remain fresh for the next day’s testing.
- Listen to opening briefing by GTO attentively and follow the instructions.
- Enjoy the tests, take them as group activity.
- Adhere to laid down timings and instructions passed by SSB students to you from time to time.
- Work hard, be active and put your best foot forward.
- Be positive, optimistic and friendly.
- Be your original self.
- Imbibe discipline in yourself, whether in lines, at work, in the ground or in the city/sightseeing.
- Carry out tests to the best of your physical ability.
- Inform Testing Officer in case you are not feeling well enough to go through the testing.
- Follow all the instructions as given to you before commencement of each task in the GTO’s ground.
- Respect others then only shall you get respected.
Don’ts of the GTO Testing:
- Do not limit yourself to one type of media or TV channel. Explore various types of media and TV channel to acquire knowledge/general awareness.
- Do not try to copy or paste pre-conceived knowledge/ideas, utilize them to generate own ideas.
- Do not sit/stand back and wait for opportunity to come its way – grab the opportunity.
- Do not discard others ideas, evaluate and then follow/modify.
- Do not feel discouraged if unable to perform well in a particular task. What matters is overall performance in all the GTO’s tasks.
- In outdoor/physical tasks do not be reckless, take calculated risks. Remain bold and composed.
- Do not give up easily. Be resilient.
- Do not over eat prior to task.
- Do not wear tight clothes/shoes.
- Do not smoke, drink and gamble during your stay with us.
- Do not damage Government property.
- Do not stay out after specified timings while on out pass.
- Do not indulge yourself in stealing/playing cards etc.
- Do not be over smart and do not put up a false front or mask your original personality.
- Do not be aggressive or short tempered.
- Do not be pessimistic or careless/lazy.
- Do not be foolhardy and do not take stupid/foolhardy risks.
- Do not pick up fight with anybody whether in the SSB or in the Selection Centre or in the city.
- Do not keep mobile phone, watch, purse, chain any valuable on your person when in tests.
I hope the article was helpful for all the defence aspirants, if you have any doubt at all or you want to suggest anything then please leave a comment to help you in least possible time!!
Keep Your Motivation High & Stay Updated to the Defence Direct Education
⚔ Jai Hind ⚔