Medals of indian armed forces
Hello, aspirants in this post lets go through all medals that are awarded during wartime and peacetime in Indian armed forces.
The medals have two categories namely,
Wartime Distinguished Service
Peacetime Distinguished Service
We will talk about wartime medals first
1. Sarvottam Yudh Seva Medal (SYSM)
- The medal is India's highest Wartime Distinguished Service Decoration.
- Awarded for the highest degree of distinguished services in an operational context.
- "Operation context" include times of war, conflict, or hostilities.
- Sarvottam Yudh Seva Medal can be awarded posthumously.
- If a recipient of the medal is subsequently awarded the medal again, every such further award shall be recognized by a Bar to be attached to the rib, and the medal is suspended.
2. Uttam Yudh Seva Medal (UYSM)
- The decoration is one of India's military decorations for Wartime Distinguished Service.
- Awarded for a high degree of distinguished services in an operational context. "Operational context" includes times of war, conflict, or hostilities. The award is a wartime equivalent of Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, which is a Peacetime Distinguished Service Decoration.
- Uttam Yudh Seva Medal is also awarded posthumously.
3. Yudh Seva Medal (YSM)
- Yudh Sena Medal is India's military decorations for distinguished service during wartime.
- Awarded for a high degree of distinguished service during the war, operations, etc.
- Yudh Sena Medal may be awarded posthumously.
Now we will discuss peacetime distinguished service medal
1. Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM)
- PVSM military award of India constituted in 1960, it is awarded in recognition to peace-time service of the most exceptional order and may be awarded posthumously.
- All ranks of the Indian Armed Forces including Territorial Army, Auxiliary and Reserve Forces, Nursing officers and other members of the Nursing services and other lawfully constituted Armed Forces are eligible for the award.
2. Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM)
- Ati Vishisht Seva Medal(AVSM) is a military award of India given to recognize "distinguished service of an exceptional order" to all ranks of the armed forces.
- The award can also be granted posthumously. A bar worn on the ribbon represents following awards. The awardee can use "AVSM" as post-nominal letters.
- The Ati Vishisht Seva Medal was initially established as the "Vishisht Seva Medal, Class II."
- Renamed on January 27, 1967, and the badge redesigned.
Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM)
- Vishisht Seva Medal(VSM) is a decoration of the Indian armed forces. It is awarded to recognize "distinguished service of an exceptional order" to all ranks of the Indian Armed forces.
- Posthumously the award may be given, and a bar worn on the ribbon represents following awards.
- The award carries with it the right to use "VSM" as post-nominal letters.
- initially established as the "Vishisht Seva Medal, Class III."It was renamed to its present name on 27 January 1967.
- The design of the medal remained unchanged, and the change is reflected only in the records.
This post will help you understand the medal distribution along with its rank and help you grow your knowledge.
What’s your Reaction?