How to perform well in SSB Personal Interview
How’s the Josh Warriors?
Hello Buddies, I hope you are applying every inch of hard work and effort to earn the prestigious Olive Green Uniform. In this appreciable blog, I am going to tell “How to perform well in SSB Personal Interview?”
What is Personal Interview:
- Personal Interview is an effective evaluation and in-depth study of the candidates at Service Selection Board (SSB).
- Personal Interview is a conversation that enables the Interviewing Officer (IO) to assess the personality of the candidates by posing general and technical questions.
- The candidate will be interviewed by the President or the Vice-President of the SSB Board to assess the ability and suitability of the candidate for a career in Indian Armed Forces as officer.
Objectives of the Personal Interview:
The Interviewing Officer assess the following qualities in a candidates through the Personal Interview-
- Planning and Organization.
- Power of Expression.
- Effective Intelligence, Reasoning, Organizing and Expression.
- Social Adjustment.
- Adaptability, Cooperation and Responsibility.
- Social Effectiveness.
- Initiative, Self Confidence, Influence to the team and Resourcefulness.
- Courage, Enthusiasm and Determination.
Do’s of the Personal Interview:
- Dress appropriately for the interview. Look smart, cheerful and enthusiastic.
- Must remain happy and respond politely to the interviewing officer’s welcome remark.
- Be audible but not too loud. Appear keen to speak and respond to questions.
- Sit straight and comfortably, do not fidget, do not keep moving your hands and legs. click here for sitting postures
- Acknowledge questions being asked by gently nodding your head and maintain eye contact
- If you have not understood anything, politely ask for a clarification (e.g sir, “pardon me” or sir, “please come again”)
- Must be clear about facts and figures regarding yourself, be it your marks obtained in academics, ranking in competitive exams, dates, names of school / institution, teachers, friends etc. Avoid stating “I do not remember” and respond as much as possible.
- A large number of questions are normally asked at one go in a sequence. Try and remember all these questions and attempt to answer them in the same sequence. If you fail to recollect all questions, finish those you remember and then request to clarify for anything, left out.
- Prepare well in advance for general knowledge. You are expected to be aware about current events, if asked.
- Talk about hobbies, participation in games & sports, adventure activities and any other interests.
- Moreover, you must have adequate technical knowledge about your hobbies and games you play. You shall get some questions on these. e.g if you play basketball, you may be asked round of questions from the size of hoop, size of court, dimensions of backboard to the different position of players.
- Remain relaxed and at ease throughout during the interview.
- Also, listen to complete questions before attempting to reply.
- Lastly, be truthful and honest while replying to questions.
Dont’s of the Personal Interview:
- Do not be shabbily dressed.
- Do not discuss the questions asked by interviewing officer.
- Never lie or put up a false pretense.
- If you are well read it is an advantage. If not, do not pretend to have read books/magazines and newspapers which you have only heard of.
- Do not entertain what has been told to you by the candidates interviewed before you. Their questions may have had a different perspective.
- Avoid guess work. Better be polite and say I don’t know, sir, I shall find out for sure”.
- Avoid being rigid, restorative, argumentative, overbearing, complacent and stiff.
- Lastly, don’t keep mobile, watch etc on personal during interview.
Tips to Remember for SSB Personal Interview:
- First of all develop interest in General Awareness, sports and hobbies which will add to the quality of your Personal Information Questionnaire (PIQ).
- Acquire skills of public speaking by practicing at home and with friends. Go through Free Ultimate english guideline
- Also, Maintain a cheerful disposition and composure while being subjected to stressful circumstances during personal interview and give logical responses.
- Most of all learn the art of filling up the Personal Information Questionnaire (PIQ) and mention authentic details. Incorrect information written in the PIQ may lead to rejection.
- You must go visiting the town in your spare time and must get back complete details and significance of what you saw; as you may be quizzed on it during your interview or the Board Conference.
- Prepare your own answers. Don’t copy what has been taught by others or in coaching academies. Keep up with your original responses and eventually it will be beneficial.
- Take permission to come in and wish the interviewing officer looking at him with a warm smile. Furthermore, you are expected to walk up to the seat before he tells you to sit down. Do not become emotional touching his feet for blessings. You are not entering a temple and he isn’t a priest.
I hope the article was helpful for all the defence aspirants, if you have any doubt at all.
Please leave a comment to help you in least possible time!!
⚔ Jai Hind ⚔