Personal Interview Do's and Don'ts
Personal Interview plays an important role in the selection of a candidate during SSB interview. Let us understand some do's and don'ts to make a positive impact on the Interviewing officer (IO).
Some basics which a candidate must keep in mind while preparing during an interview are as under:
- Be appropriately turned out for the interview.
- Look smart, cheerful and enthusiastic.
- Must remain happy and calm and respond politely to the interviewing officer's welcome remark.
- Be audible but not too loud. Appear keen to speak and respond to questions.
- Sit straight and comfortably, do not fidget, do not keep moving your hands and legs.
- Acknowledge questions being asked by gently nodding your head and maintain eye contact throughout.
- If you have not understood anything, politely ask for a clarification or to repeat the question.
- Must be clear about facts and figures regarding your bio data, marks obtained, ranking in competitive exams, dates, names of school / institution, teachers, friends etc. Avoid stating "I do not remember" and respond as far as possible.
- A large number of questions are normally asked at one go in a sequence. Try and remember all these questions and attempt to answer them in the same sequence. If you fail to recollect all questions, finish those you remember and then request to clarify for anything, left out.
- Prep well in general knowledge for the interview. You are expected to be aware about current events, if asked.
- Talk about hobbies, participation in games & sports, adventure activities and any other interests. You must have adequate technical knowledge about your hobbies and games you play. You shall get some questions on these.
- Utilize your time while waiting for interview by reading newspapers and journals available in waiting room.
- Watch TV News for updating yourself in candidates lines / waiting room.
- Remain relaxed and at ease throughout during the interview.
- Listen to complete questions before attempting to reply.
- Be truthful and honest while replying to questions.
- Do not be shabbily dressed.
- Don't be under stress during interview.
- Do not discuss the questions asked by interviewing officer.
- Never lie or put up a false pretense.
- If you are well read it is an advantage. If not, do not pretend to have read books/magazines and newspapers which you have only heard of.
- Do not reply as has been told to you by the candidates interviewed before you. Their questions may have had a different perspective.
- Avoid guess work. Better be polite and say I don't know, sir, I shall find out".
- Avoid being rigid, restorative, argumentative, overbearing, complacent and stiff, throughout the interview.
- Don't keep mobile, watch etc on person during interview.
What’s your Reaction?