All about security challenges and their management in border areas
India shares border with Bangladesh ,China,Pakistan,Nepal,Bhutan and Myanmar.
All over the world , most conflict free borders are those which are geographical .
Other boundaries are political ones and bear historical burden as is in the case of India with neighbors like Pakistan .
In this case there is common historical cultural flow and there are claims or counter claims.
In addition to that , in India borders are quite complex and every type of extreme geography is present.
Furthermore, Border management becomes important for the fact that India is like island of democracy between seas of instable states.
INDIA BANGLADESH BORDER
4096.7 km of border with Bangladesh . The border is on the basis of old district maps.
Issues with this border:
- Illegal Immigration-According to 'Task Force and Border Management ,2001',there are about 15 milion Bangladeshi illegal immigrants in India increasing at rate of 3 Lakh per month.
- Cattle smuggling
- Along with cattle ,moreover smuggling of arms and other essential items such as sugar , salt, diesel , Indian currency.
INDIA PAKISTAN BORDER
It runs from hot thar desert in Rajasthan to cold himalayas in jammu and Kashmir.
Also known as Radcliff line.
There is a double row fencing on LoC.
Entire border is lit up with strong floodlights and hence the Indo Pak border can actually be seen from space at night.
Issues in this border :
- Apart from smuggling anti India Jihadist groups in collusion with Pak Armed forces constantly tries to push terrorist to Indian side of Loc.
INDIA CHINA BORDER
The line which delineates the boundary between the two countries is McMohan line
But it was formalized after a discussion between Indian and Tibetans .
The boundary is , however , disputed by china .
It is interesting that in same agreement boundary upto Myanmar was settled
And china accepts McMohan line with Myanmar .
To find solution to vexed problem India and china initiated high level border talks in 1981 but the talks broke down in 1987.
Recently , NSA Ajit Doval was appointed as special envoy for talks .
Presently ,there are only three designated areas along India-china border these are Lipu , ShipkI La , Nathu La.
The volume of trade in these trading points is not large.However , large smuggling of chinese electronic and other consumer goods take place through these border points.
INDIA MYANMAR BOUNDARY
The boundary demarcated in 1967 under an agreement issued by both countries .
The location of this border throws up many challenges for effective management of the boundary .
Issues in this border:
- The rugged terrain makes movement and overall development difficult .
- Inter-tribal clashes
- Transborder ethnic ties also adversely affect the security of the border areas.
INDIA NEPAL BORDER
India and nepal have shared an open border since 1950 .
Citizens of both countries given equal rights in matters of residence , acquisition of property , employment and movement in each other's territory .
Issues in this border
- While open border has been a great facilitator of strong and unique bilateral relations , at the same time , it has given rise to many irritants and problems that raise serious concerns .
- All terrorist organizations have fully exploited open borders with nepal .
- Fake Indian currency
- Drungs and human trafficking
Hope this article has helped you to gain knowledge about India's challenges with neighbouring countries.
Stay connected to DDE for more such articles.