Cruise missile vs Ballistic missile
Being a defence aspirant this topic is of utmost importance for the interview. In this article, the difference between the cruise and ballistic missile with Indian armed forces will be discussed in detail.
- The ballistic missile is launched as a projectile and controlling missile after the launch is not possible.
- The ballistic missile is launched directly into earth’s atmosphere. Missile travels outside the atmosphere, and then the warhead gets removed from the body and falls back to earth. It traces the path of a ball thrown upwards and then comes back to earth.
- Launching of this missile is from land or sea.
- The gravitational pull of the earth controls a ballistic missile trajectory.
- The range of the ballistic missile is more than the cruise missile and can travel distance up to 10,000 Km in a short time.
- The terminal speeds of over missile is around 5,000 m/s, much harder to intercept than cruise missiles, due to the much shorter time available.
- Some of the ballistic missiles with the Indian armed force are- AGNI(ICBM) series, PRITHVI(SRBM) series, DHANUSH.
- A Cruise Missile is a guided missile that flies with constant speed to deliver a warhead at a specified target over a long distance with high accuracy.
- Cruise missiles that can be launched from various platforms whether from Land, Sea (Submarine, Ship) or Air
- Cruise missiles characterised by having different forms of guidance whether inertial or beyond visual range satellite GPS guidance.
- They are known precisely for the low-level flight which is staying relatively close to the surface of the earth to avoid detection from anti-missile systems and are designed to carry large payloads with high precision.
- The key is that the missile is guided entirely to the target under its power.
- Cruise missiles are categorised by size, speed (subsonic or supersonic), and range, and whether launched from land, air, surface ship, or submarine.
- Some of the cruise missiles with the Indian armed force are- BRAHMOS, NIRBHAY.
This article will surely help you in your preparation.
Stay connected with DDE for more such article.