The Kumaon Regiment of the Indian army
In this post we will know about the Kumaon regiment, motto and its creation and war fought along with medals and decorations. This post will help you prepare for the SSB interview.
About Kumaon regiment (the creed of the man-eaters)
- The Kumaon Regiment originated in 1813 is one of the most decorated infantry regiments of the Indian Army.
- The regiment has fought in every primary campaign of the British Indian Army and the Indian Army, including the two world wars.
- The regiments recruit from the Kumaonis of the Kumaon division and the Ahirs from the plains.
Motto-"Parakramo Vijayate" (Valour Triumphs)
War Cry-“Kalika Mata Ki Jai” (Victory to the Great Goddess Kali), “Bajrang Bali Ki Jai” (Victory to Bajrang Bali), “Dada Kishan Ki Jai” (Victory to Dada Kishan)
- In 1853, at the time of the signing of a treaty between the Nizam and the British, the Nizam's forces consisted of 8 battalions.
- The force was renamed as the Hyderabad Contingent subsequently, becoming the 19th Hyderabad Regiment.
- On 27 October 1945, after the Second World War, the 19th Hyderabad Regiment was renamed as 19th Kumaon Regiment.
- During the colonial period, this regiment fought wars like WW-1 and WW-2
- The senior battalion, 1 Kumaon, initially raised in March 1813, was converted to the airborne role in 1946.
- It fought with distinction in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947 as 1 Kumaon (Para).
- It remained a part of the regiment until April 1952 when it was inducted into the Parachute Regiment as 3 Para.
- In 2000, the battalion was converted to special forces as part of the expansion of the special operations forces of the Indian Army and renamed 3 Para (SF).
- 1 November 1970, the Naga Regiment was raised and affiliated with the Kumaon Regiment.
- The class composition of this regiment comprises Nagas, Kumaonis, Garhwalis and Gurkhas.
- The regiment brought laurel by fighting in major wars like Indo-Pak war of 1947-46, Indo-Shino war 1962, Indo-Pak war 1965 and 1971, Kargil war 1999 and various operations like Meghdoot and opPawann.
- The regiment has many gallantry awards along with the first recipient of PVC(maj somnath sharma) was from this regiment.