All about New sniper rifle of The Indian Army
Recently Indian army declared that it would discontinue the old Russian made Dragunov sniper with two new snipers. We all know how important is an effective sniper rifle for guarding borders.
In this post, we will see about the old and new snipers in detail.
Let's see the old one first
The Dragunov sniper rifle
- It is a semi-automatic sniper rifle within 62×54mm calibre and developed in the Soviet Union.
- The Dragunov was designed as a squad support weapon since the long-range engagement ability was lost to ordinary troops when submachine guns and assault rifles were adopted.
- Weight 30 kg (with a scope and unloaded magazine)
- Length 1,225 mm (48.2 in)
- Barrel length 620 mm (24.4 in)
- Action Gas-operated, rotating bolt
- Muzzle velocity 830 m/s
- Effective firing range 800 m
- Feed system 10-round detachable box magazine
Now the Indian army is getting new stock of sniper rifle and will not be using Dragunov sniper.
Victrix Armaments .338 Lapua Magnum Scorpio TGT
- Italian firm Beretta owns this deadly sniper.
- It was developed in the 1980s as a high-powered, long-range cartridge for military snipers.
- The Scorpio TGT uses the .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6×70mm or 8.58×70mm), a rimless, bottlenecked, centre-fire rifle cartridge.
- Initially, the sniper was ranged at 1000 m but can be used effectively to 1500m and beyond.
- Various other countries are using this sniper for security purpose.
Barrett's .50-calibre M95
- This lethal sniper is a US-made anti-material rifle.
- The M95 first used back in 1995, and is part of the Barrett M82 family, and was the first .50 Caliber anti-material rifles introduced in 1982 by America.
- The gun consists of a Machine Gun cartridge (12.7×99mm).
- This sniper caters the firing range of 1,800 metres and is used by many special forces in the world.
- One of the central aspects of any gun is that it must be light weighted and this sniper serves this purpose well as it is more compact and lightweight
- The sniper has five round detachable box magazines as well which will help is fast and easy reloading.
The Sako TRG
- Our Para special forces are also getting the new Finnish Sako TRG sniper.
- It is a bolt-action sniper rifle line designed and manufactured by the Finnish firearms manufacturer, SAKO.
- The TRG-21 and TRG-22 are designed to fire standard 62×51mm sized cartridges.
- Weight 7 kg (fully loaded)
- Length 1,000 mm
- Barrel length 510 mm
- Cartridge .260 Remington
- Action Bolt-action
- Effective firing range 2500 m
- Feed system 5-round detachable box magazine (.338 Lapua Magnum)
- Sights Aperture rear, night optics
What’s your Reaction?