Interesting facts about National Defence Academy
“Service Before Self” is the motto of the first joint military academy of the world that trains the finest officers for the Army, Navy and Airforce i.e. National Defence Academy.
Some of you may have the dream of joining this elite academy. It is truly said that NDA is the place where boys are turned into men.
Change in the voice tone, good body structure, few extra inches of height and an overall gentleman personality is more than enough to motivate students.
The moments of fun and pain gets out the best from a youngster. You might have heard the experience of NDA cadets you may know.
As the academy had always been maintained its high standard as is evident as the NDA alumni include 3 Param Vir Chakra recipients and 12 Ashok Chakra recipients.
National Defence Academy has given 27 service chiefs of staff till now.
Here are some interesting facts about the National defence academy:
- For the contribution of the Indian soldiers for Sudan in World war 2, India got donation from Sudan and NDA was built.
- Therefore, the main building of the academy is known as Sudan Block.
- There are 18 squadrons consisting 100 to 120 cadets each.
- The three years in the academy consist of six terms and each cadet has to go through camps at the end of each year
- Camp Greenhorn in the 2nd term, camp Rover in the 4th term and camp Torna in the 6th term.
- Further, Rakesh Sharma, the first Indian to travel in space was an alumnus of National Defence Academy.
- Current chief of staff of Army, Navy and Airforce are all NDA alumni.
- Also, the academy trains candidates from neighbouring countries.
- “NDA special” is a special holiday train for NDA cadets.The train runs between Delhi and Pune.
- Lastly, the mess in the academy is Asia’s largest mess.
This makes the academy unique and a dream for all patriotic youngsters