India Urges Russia To Boost Local Production Of T-90MS Tanks Before Purchase
India's cabinet committee on security has approved a 1.93 billion dollars procurement of 464 Russian T-90MS main battle tanks.
But the condition is the T-90MS tanks are to be produced by Heavy Vehicles Factory under the license from the Russian manufacturer Uralvagonzavod. India wants Uralvagonzavod to increase the local production of tanks from 40 percent to 80 percent.
- It is equipped with 1130 hp engine, a PNM Sosna U-gunner view and a UDP T05BV-1 RWS with a 7.63 machine gun.
- It uses a 125mm 2A46 smooth bore tank gun, and thermal sights.
- T-90MS has a maximum speed of 60 km/h.
- It has a range of 550 km without fuel drums.
- It can carry a crew of three.
Once the contract is signed the new tanks are expected to form the core of 10 armoured regiments. Indian Army currently fields over 3000+ MBTs divided into around 65 armoured regiments.
Stay tuned DDE for more.