Defence Ministry Completed Negotiations To Buy Airbus C-295 Transport Aircraft
India is looking to buy 62 Airbus Defence and Space C-295 medium transport aircraft (MTA) for the Indian Air Force and Indian Coast Guard from Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL). This is a joint venture between Tata Group and European firm Airbus.
It is a 3.15 billion dollar deal which will deliever 56 C-295 for the IAF to replace ageing fleet of Avro 748M transport aircraft and 6 for the Indian Coast guard.
Negotiations for the C-295 aircraft have concluded, the deal is expected to be approved by Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).
- While 16 C-295 will be imported, the remaining 46 will be assembled at a facility to be set up in Banglore.
- Also as per the 2013 MTA tender, 24 of these will be imported in kit form for local assembly and will contain 30% of locally sourced components.
- However the remaining 22 will have 60% of the parts from domestic manufacturers.
- It has a capacity to carry 71 troops at a time.
- It can carry payload of 9,250 kilograms.
- Maximum speed is 576 kph
- Maximum range is 1300 kilometer (with maximum payload, range varies with payload)
Also, the first locally built C-295 is estimated to be delivered within 60 months of the contract being signed.
IAF has also inducted four Chinook helicopters to its fleet that will provide a strategic air lift capability. It can also deliver heavy payloads to high altitudes and is suited for operations in higher Himalayas as well.
Avro 748M transport aircraft are already ageing, in this scenario where India is facing a war like situation from two fronts. Hence C-295 induction will boost the capabilities and morale of the IAF.
Stay tuned to DDE for more.
Written by DDE
How to check your NDA marks
10 Habits that will make you a better prepared for SSB interview
List Of War Cries In Indian Army
How To Check Your CDS Marks For Individual Paper
How To Crack CDS Exam [Planning Blueprint & Books]
10 Things You Need To Work On Daily Basis For SSB
Download SSB call letter
Medals And Decorations Of Indian Military
What You Should Do When SSB Batch is Full