Bogibeel bridge boost defence movement
Hello aspirants, Our PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Bogibeel road-cum-rail Bridge on river Brahmaputra in Assam on 25TH Dec 2018. This bridge will help to improve road and rail connectivity in the region, especially to Arunachal Pradesh. In this post, I will discuss the salient features of the bridge. This post will not only boost your general knowledge but also help understand its importance from the viewpoint of armed forces.
What you need to know about the Bogibeel Bridge
- Bogibeel bridge is India's longest rail-cum-road bridge of 4.94 km connecting Assam’s Dibrugarh on the south bank to Dhemaji border of Arunachal.
- First of Indian Railways all welded steel bridge with unique design and expected lifespan of 100 years.
- The second longest in Asia, it has three-lane roads on top, and a double rail line running below.
- It stands 32 meters above the water’s surface
- The approximate cost of the project is in the range of Rs 5,000 crore.
- It will improve the connectivity to the upper districts of Assam which was not easy before.
- The bridge will eliminate dependency on ferry services to the North Bank of Brahmaputra and onwards to Arunachal Pradesh.
- The bridge will also boost tourism in Arunachal due to comfortable transport facility.
How bogibeel bridge will Benefit indian Defence
- The bridge will cut short the travel time to Arunachal drastically.
- The roadways will clip at least 8hrs of extra travel and at least 14 hrs of the train journey.
- Bogibeel railroad bridge across the Brahmaputra is quite crucial in strategic terms as it makes the movement of military assets towards the border easier and swifter.
- Overall this will help boost defence logistics in Arunachal Pradesh along the China border.
It concluded that this bridge would help the Army to protect the boundaries of North east states given the connectivity plays a vital role and the bridge is serving that purpose now.